Sunday, July 12, 2009

Indexing

I was called last week to be an Indexer in my ward and today I completed my first batch. At times it was hard to read handwriting from 1920, but it was a rewarding experience. Ever since I went to a family reunion in Bear Lake a few weeks ago I have been very intrigued by family history. I was even hoping to be called to the index committee way before I actually was. It's an odd experience to feel connected to our ancestors, to people we have never met. But do we take the time to realize just how similar we might be. Not a day goes by here at college that I don't perform some act like cleaning the kitchen or doing my laundry and think of my mom and the way she taught me to do these things. Each of my roommates and I perform the same task but all in different ways. Why? Because how we have been raised. And who taught our mothers? And our mother's mothers? Even something as simple as doing the laundry can be attributed to people we have never met.

But spiritual habits may also be passed on through the family tree. The way we pray, the way we study the scriptures, our attitudes regarding gospel principles like fasting and tithing can be inherited attitudes. Never forget this as you raise your families. What you do and the habits you now have may dictate the habits of your posterity for generations to come.

I encourage you all to participate in indexing. You may do so by going to http://www.familysearchindexing.org. Here you can take tutorials on how to index and then join the process! The records you index will then be available through the Church's family history sites allowing people to quickly locate their ancestors. And remember if you aren't a member of the church please join in! You too can learn so much about your ancestors, and consequently better understand yourself.

Sorry if this post is a little, ok maybe a lot, cheesy and corny but check out the site and join in the work!

1 comment:

  1. As you talked about the habits we learn from our mothers I couldn't help but think about ramen noodles. Lacey, when making it, will crush the raw noodles until they are tiny little pieces. Me, on the other hand, will break it into fourths and Ally just puts the whole thing into boiling water without breaking it at all. No one way is right(though we may argue about it), it's just the way we've been raised.

    ReplyDelete