Friday, March 4, 2011

Reaching for the…moon, stars and my pencil

I was in the temple the other day and had the opportunity to chat for a little while with one of the temple workers. After mentioning that I want to pursue a law degree, she firmly reminded me that that’s a fine goal and ambition, but to remember that the best thing I can do in life is to be a good wife and mother. I know. Being a wife and mother is what I know I am supposed to do and be, and trust me when I say I do want these things. In fact, I want them very badly. I understand that they will bring me true happiness and will be more guaranteeing of salvation (if done properly) than anything else I can do in this life. However, I strongly believe that there is something else I have been sent here to do. Not something more, not something better. Just something else in addition to the incredible roles of wife and mother. I am been so incredibly blessed; I know I am supposed to bring these blessings to others.

I was talking to a dear friend a while ago and I told her of my newfound desire and ambition to attend law school. She asked my why and I said “because I have to”. Our discussion turned to how we have been given blessings and opportunities that few members of our race have ever been allotted. I feel that it would be unforgivably selfish of me if I were to ignore these blessings in my life. I currently am studying at Brigham Young University and the education I receive here is invaluable. I can help so many people and even more when I complete my law degree. I want to be like Gandhi and bring human rights and dignity to the harijan the ‘Children of God’, the lowest of low. This is my mission. This is my goal. I will be their voice, I will be their advocate, I will be their friend, and I will be a wife and mother. It’s a package deal.

While I have not achieved any of these things yet, I recognize that I am on the journey. I can see the moon and stars I am shooting for. I know that these lofty heights are reachable. I know that I will have to stretch myself in ways I haven’t even conceived of yet. But I will continue to pick up my pencil and do the work because I know that it is worth it. I know that proclaiming the freedom and triumph of even one human soul is worth it, whatever ‘it’ may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment